Monday, September 29, 2008

Welcome to my blog.

Welcome to my blog, and I hope that I can motivate others to get off the couch and do something similar. My goal is to run the Boston Marathon in 2010.

Brief info about myself:
24 years old
Student- currently attending SUNY at Buffalo
Do not exercise nor play sports
Drives my car even if my destination is a mile away.
Only exercise is probably walking from my car to classes.

This past weekend, 9/27-9/28, I went out and bought myself 2 pairs of running shoes. During the summer, I went to "Marathon Sports" a specialty store for runners in Brookline, MA. to test out what shoes works for me. My feet are flat, so regular retail stores wouldn't help much. After trying on 4 pairs, I narrowed it down to the Nike Vomero 3. The price was $130, which is $5 over retail, but I think the employees deserves the extra from the inflate price. The guilt that I had was that I didn't buy the shoes from them. I was on a budget and couldn't take the hit for a high price item, and not meeting my goal later on.

So I waited for a sale and finally FootLocker had their "Friends and Family 30% OFF" coupon, and I took the first initiative to buy running shoes. I bought the Nike Vomero 3, which is my dedicated running shoes, and the Nike Pegasus for everyday uses. During that Sunday night, I checked out a few websites, such as RunnersWorld (www.runnersworld.com) for advices from other runners. Many of them also recommended having a dedicated running shoes and another to do everyday walking, etc. Afterward, I checked out the video section of the website and watched most of the videos regarding strength and cores building. Lastly, I was browsing the internet and found a site: "Couch to 5K" (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml), where they provides a few get started running plan. I am going to follow this 9 weeks plan, and hopefully can run non-stop for atleast 30 minutes.

And now my training begins for the 2010 Boston Marathon.

No comments: